2000 to Present Eaton County Prosecutor’s Office Charlotte, Michigan
* Chief law enforcement officer of Eaton County.
* Manages 10 attorneys and 15 administrative staff.
* Responsible for managing a case load averaging 6,000 cases per year in the District, Circuit, Family and Probate Courts.
* Responsible for managing the office’s domestic violence, drug and economic crimes units.
* Responsible for managing a $1 million office budget.
CHIEF ASSISTANT PROSECUTOR: 2010 – 2013
* Acts for Jeff Sauter, Eaton County Prosecuting Attorney, in his absence.
* Assists in the management of the office, including employment interviews, budgetary planning, staff training, assignments and assisting with employee relation matters.
* Vertical prosecution of high profile and complicated cases such as homicide, home invasions, fraud, and embezzlement.
* Continued oversight and management of the Eaton County Economic Crimes Unit (ECU).
SENIOR ASSISTANT PROSECUTOR - ECONOMIC CRIMES UNIT (ECU): 2003 –2010
* Senior Assistant Prosecutor assigned to oversee the ECU.
* Responsible for the supervision of a staff and managing the budget of the ECU exceeding $400,000 at a separate office in Delta Township, Eaton County.
* Manage the bad check, welfare fraud, retail fraud, failure to return property/library property and Social Security fraud diversion programs for Eaton County. Appointed as Special Prosecutor in Ingham and Clinton County to handle their bad check and welfare fraud diversion cases.
* Prosecute economic crimes by analyzing, preparing and presenting evidence in the Eaton County District and Circuit Courts.
* Participate in training seminars and presentations to law enforcement agencies, business owners, organizations, and the general public about the prevention and investigation of economic crimes, such as identity theft, vulnerable adult abuse cases, check fraud, counterfeiting, retail fraud, and bad check crimes.
* Draft/authorize search warrants, investigative subpoenas, review and authorize cases for prosecution of economic crimes.
ASSISTANT PROSECUTOR – EATON COUNTY DRUG UNIT: 2000-2003
* Responsible for the screening and authorization of narcotic-related complaints investigated by the Tri-County Metro Narcotics Unit, Eaton County Sheriff’s Department, and other Eaton County law enforcement agencies.
* Vertical prosecution of felony drug-related cases by presenting evidence in the District and Circuit Courts.
* Draft, review and authorize search warrants.
* Participate in training presentations to law enforcement agencies regarding narcotic-related investigations, such as search and seizure, probable cause and arrest.
* Assist the office in the prosecution of other types of cases in the District, Circuit and Family Court as needed.
1996 – 2000 Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office Jackson, Michigan
ASSISTANT PROSECUTING ATTORNEY: 1996-2000
CHIEF TRIAL ATTORNEY OF THE DRUG AND ARSON UNIT: 1998-2000
* Prosecuted a variety of cases and ran dockets in the District, Circuit and Juvenile Courts.
* Successfully prosecuted and convicted many high priority cases, such as murder, extortion, criminal sexual conduct offenses and other major crimes.
* Helped establish the Drug and Arson Unit (1997-1998) in cooperation with other law enforcement agencies in Jackson County. First Assistant Prosecutor appointed as the Chief Trial Attorney of the Drug and Arson Unit.
* Vertically prosecuted all drug and arson-related cases.
1993 – 1995 Lloyd & Knot, P.C. Lansing, Michigan
1992 – 1993 Douglas R. Lloyd, Attorney at Law Lansing, Michigan
ATTORNEY & PARTNER
* General Law practitioner handling a variety of cases, but primarily in the area of criminal defense and civil litigation.
* Other areas of practice included contract law, real estate law, corporate law, personal injury, wills and trusts, and family law.
1992 Thomas M. Cooley Law School Lansing, Michigan
* Juris Doctorate 1992
* Eugene S. Quigley Award/Scholarship
* Intra-School Trial Team Finalist
1988 University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) Las Vegas, Nevada
* BA in Criminal Justice, minor in Psychology 1988
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS, BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
(PAST & PRESENT)
* Organized Retail Fraud Advisory Board (April 2013 to Present)
* Confirmed by legislator in 2013 to serve on the State Drug Treatment Court Advisory Committee
* Board of Directors of the Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan (2013- Present)
*President- Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan (2021-2022)
*Chairman of the Eaton County Gun Board (January 2013 to 2015)
* Board member of the Child Abuse Prevention Council of Eaton County (2013-Present)
* State Bar of Michigan Character and Fitness Committee (2004-2010)
* State Bar of Michigan, State Bar of Nevada, State Bar of Arkansas
* Eaton County Bar Association
* Ingham County Bar Association
* Jackson County Bar Association
* Central Michigan Law Enforcement Association
* Catholic Lawyers Guild
* Michigan Arson Prevention Committee
LOCAL CIVIC AND CHARITABLE INVOLVEMENT SINCE BECOMING AN ATTORNEY
* Boy Scouts of America - Cub Scout Den Leader for Pack 635 (2004-2010)
* Boy Scouts of America - Boy Scout Adult Leader for Troop 70 (2009 to Present)
* National Eagle Scout Association - Member
* Delta Governmental Affairs (2010 to Present)
* Delta Side Business Organization - Member
* Grand Ledge Area Youth Football - Board & Committee Member (2009-2012)
* Grand Ledge Area Youth Football Coach – (2007-2012)
* Lansing Catholic Junior Cougars - Flag football coach (2006)
* Grand Ledge Parks and Recreation - Baseball coach (2007-2010)
* Delta Township Parks and Recreation - Baseball coach (2005-2006)
* Delta Township Parks and Recreation - T-ball coach (2004)
* Delta Township Parks and Recreation - Soccer coach (2004 & 2005)
* AYSO – Soccer Coach (2006-2008)
* Walmar Estates Homeowners Association - Board Member/President (2002-2010)
* Knights of Columbus – 3rd Degree Knight (2006 to Present)